Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thanks for Everything

When I was a kid my mother had a rule that made me nearly explode at the end of every August.  Having worked myself into a frenzy opening a glut of birthday presents, I was required to write thank you notes before I could stash the loot in my room.  It’s not that I wasn't appreciative, but the timing couldn't have been worse!  I dutifully scribbled notes in the neatest penmanship I could muster considering the circumstances.  Then off I’d fly to my room never to be seen or heard from again.  Good news, mom!  I learned the lesson:  I don’t make a habit of taking things or people for granted.  Unfortunately, it still creeps up on me quicker than I’d like to admit.  My excuse is that everything in life seems to happen so fast these days – one week zooms into the next, seasons pass in a blink, my how the year does fly!  It is a great relief to me that Americans have a handy national holiday during which it is “strongly suggested” I STOP and appreciate my blessings.  I still write thank you notes for my birthday gifts, but I've upped the ante for Thanksgiving, the time for reflection and offering of thanks comes regardless of the gluttonous feast.


The last occasion I remember writing down what I was thankful for at Thanksgiving it was accompanied by a construction paper turkey cut from the traced shape of my tiny hand.  This week I decided to update the assignment without losing the genuine and thorough spirit of the first one.  I could write a tome, but I figure I’d run out of cyberspace and interested readers.  Below are my top 36 highlights in no particular order.   *For anyone wondering, yes, you’re in here somewhere. 

I am thankful:
1. For rainy days at home, the surprise of a snowy morning, warm sunshine through the window, or a shady breeze in July.
2. For a concrete floor that hides dirt, doesn’t mind spills, and radiates heat from the wood stove. 
3. To my kindergarten teacher, for having an awesome hands-on demonstration of the sense of taste (Yes, I sneakily stuck my finger in the cocoa powder before instructed to do so…bitter mistake!)
4. For childhood hand-me-downs which instilled in me that second-hand can be awesome
5. For the miracle of spring, the restoration of winter, the festivities of summer, and the regal beauty of fall
6. For a reliable vehicle that is everything I desire in transportation – it is paid for, silver-colored, eager to go on road trips, gets decent gas mileage, and has great cargo room
7. To my mail carrier who knows where I actually live and has kindly brought me mail regardless of the address on the parcel (Impressive after three relocations in six years!)
8. For homemade pizza and garlic bread
9. To my mom, for teaching me the value of doing what needs to be done…no matter what
10. For health and strength
11. For the mysteries of the universe, the human body, and the human spirit
12.To my few quirky friends, for being kindred souls that don’t mind distance or time apart
13. For courteous drivers
14. For hugs and kisses
15. For veterans and public servants who sacrificially put others’ wellness before their own
16. To my sisters, for teaching me how to love and appreciate different personalities and strengths
17. For my old bead-board cabinet that makes me smile every time I look at it
18. To a handful of my educators, who helped me refine my abilities to think critically, read often, write well, and love learning
19. For Founding Fathers that demanded freedom and accountability
20. For extended family that visits, eats, prays, works, and plays together
21. For certain aspects of technology, namely electricity, medicine, refrigerators, chain saws, and the like
22. For a community that is intrigued enough by an outsider to embrace her into the fold
23. To my dad, for passing on his artistic, musical, and athletic abilities
24. For self-checkout
25. For the majesty of the ocean, mountains, plains, and stars
26. For faith to believe and the peace of salvation
27. To my niece and nephews, for confirming my suspicions that children are a marvelous gift
28. For traditions that bind us together and progress that encourages us to adapt
29. For people who don’t take themselves too seriously – I need them more than they may realize
30. To my in-laws, for gracefully maneuvering the delicate balance between generations
31. For the planters outside my kitchen window that remind me I can grow wonderful things despite my “temporary” habitation
32. For all those living simply and intentionally with an eye toward stewardship and sustainability
33. For my students who trust me to set a positive and lasting example both in and out of the classroom
34. For my piano and its myriad possibilities
35. For turkey, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, salad, rolls, and sweet treats
36. To my husband, for being dashingly good-looking and immeasurably charming (not to mention my best friend and the most uncannily perfect match I could ask for)

And there you have my scratch-the-surface version of what I'm thankful for this year!  Perhaps your list is much longer or less specific, more inspirational or far fewer words.  Whether you formally note your list or simply pause for a humbly thankful moment, I hope your Thanksgiving feasting is overshadowed by gratitude.  
And for old times' sake...it never hurts to make a paper turkey!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for reminding us to make our own lists, even if mentally. And you are very near the top of my list, for many reasons, but one being that your presence in my life reinforces my belief in miracles. And I could go on. . .
    Love you, your Monster-in-Law

    ReplyDelete