Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Keepin' It Real in the Kitchen

In my lifetime my mother has called me many things, but there's one description she's had in her arsenal since I was a kid that still makes me a little gooey in the middle every time it's used within my earshot.  She usually says something like, "I go into the fridge and see an old piece of bread, a half-empty jar of who-knows-what, some ketchup, and a pickle.  She (that's me) can go in that same fridge and come out with a gourmet sandwich."  Now,  I’m not sure that Julia Childs would concur on the gourmet status of my creations at the ripe age of 9, but needless to say the eaters were happy and that’s step one.  I've dedicated this post to one of my lifelong loves: FOOD.    (There's even a recipe at the end!) 


I can neither explain my love affair with food nor try to deduce how or when it started.  All I remember at first was that I'd plop down in front of the television with a "snack" and at least one of my family members would be disappointed I hadn't made any of my concoction for them, too.  By the time I was in college I was coming home on break and announcing that I'd be making a massive meal on such and such night or that I'd be cooking Easter dinner this year...from scratch.  And I remember my sisters confessing that they knew when I cooked I preferred not to tell anyone what was on the menu, that I'd rather people stayed out of the kitchen until it was ready, and that we should be around the table together to eat it.  I didn't have a defined reason why it was so, but I knew their perceptions were true.  

Living a homestead life -- where raising my own food is so much of a priority -- I view food, the family table (and I mean that loosely to include neighbors, friends, and strangers alike), and the act of cooking with the same eyes but perhaps bathed in light from a different bulb.  There's been a whole lot of personal development, learning curve, botched recipes, and expansion of worldview since those early years. After my move to Kentucky four years ago I became almost obsessed with the soil-to-table process. Where does my food come from? How can I play a more deliberate role in raising the food I eat or knowing the person that does?  What should I be eating and what needs to be kicked to the curb?  How can I afford to eat like a king on a farmer's budget?  You mean I'm supposed to eat the green, leafy part on top of beets?  What in the world do I do with a bottom-round roast?  ...and countless other eye-opening questions those on the unending path to food enlightenment might ask themselves.  Depending on my mood or the occasion there's something about it all that is creative, challenging, relational, relaxing, philosophical, cultural, even scientific...and perhaps a little exhausting if I get really honest about it.    

In the process of developing myself in a culinary sense (a process I intend to continue but never complete), I have unearthed a few things that have really helped me along the way.  First, I must admit I'm no professional in the kitchen; I've never been anywhere close to culinary school. My methods and recipes can be rustic, even basic, but I prefer them that way and embrace this trait.  In some ways I think the "simple" keeps the dishes accessible, surprising even.  Second, unless I'm in a particularly motivated mood, I tire of lengthy, multi-process recipes.  You know the kind you pick on page 114 that half-way through says "see page 72" only to get to page 72 and read "see page 23"...Ugh.  It is important to note however that I do actually use recipes from go-to cookbooks or trusted websites, especially when referencing basic skills for the first time.  Another thing I've gathered is that I like to mix and match a few recipes at a time and rarely follow any of them to the letter.  I attribute this to my tendency to be opinionated -- even in the kitchen -- it's my way of putting in my two cents.  I've also realized that I prefer what I consume to be fairly recognizable, so I generally leave potatoes unpeeled, soups not pureed, and when I venture into the sweet world of desserts I'd much rather a mountainous range of frosted peaks to the smooth (boring) geometry of fondant.  Generally, in the edible end there's a bit of gourmet flair that seems to be infused in an otherwise rustic meal.  And last on this list, but probably the best saved for last, is my ultimate ideal for those eating, myself included, to have savored the flavors and been nourished by whole foods (whether they knew it or not). Thus far, all I have to go by is my and the eaters' enjoyment, health, and a sense that I'm doing my own personal part to support the slow, local, sustainable, beyond-organic food movement...in this case it just happens to be one meal at a time.  

It'd be silly not to mention that time is a massive factor that keeps people out of the kitchen.  On occasion, I am no exception.  Life in this day and age simply doesn't allow any of us to cook three meals a day three hundred and sixty-five days a year -- and thank Heaven for that!  For myself personally, when so much of my time is devoted to food in one way or another -- growing, raising, and preserving it, taking care of livestock, and running a food-based business -- it almost seems oxymoronic to be time-sensitive in my kitchen. But, such is the case.  Despite periods of intense busyness, I am first committed to not eat processed foods or eat out for convenience.  So what do I do when I'm short on time? Like many in my position, I plan ahead as best I can, fall back on something I already know, and stick to my basic kitchen rules.

Kitchen Rules for me, myself, and I:
Ingredients, Ingredients, Ingredients -- Ingredients chosen make all the difference in the world.  Cook from scratch with local, sustainably-raised, seasonal, beyond-organic ingredients.  Meats and dairy should be pasture-based (ruminants should not eat ANY grain/corn).  Allow a 90/10 rule to give cushion, but stick to the ideal as much as possible (i.e. there's no such thing as Kentucky oranges or bananas, so get some on occasion if that's what I want).  When in doubt, do without.   
Lovin' Leftovers -- Why cook twice when I can cook once and eat twice or more?  We don't keep processed sandwich meat in our house because dinner leftovers are always kept at our fingertips for a quick lunch or supper.  Likewise, large batches of homemade yogurt make an easy fix for mornings when we need a quick breakfast.    
Basic, Delicious, Healthful Recipes -- Keep it simple! Though whole food ingredients are all I'm working with, it's easier to go for the filet mignon if a basic sirloin is already comfortable in the roster.  In the same breath, it's important to take risks and try something new often...you never know when a new go-to recipe is just around the corner!  

Speaking of go-to recipes.  No one was more shocked than me when my MEATLOAF was the requested meal of choice for an intern's final supper, countless potlucks, and a number of family gatherings...who requests meatloaf?!?!   What about the ribs, steaks, stews, pastas and such??  Nope.  They asked for meatloaf.  I hope it has the same tasty results in your kitchen.


Oh Yes, It's Meatloaf!
1 lb.  favorite pastured pork sausage (I prefer Italian), ground venison, or lamb
2 lb.  all-grass ground beef
*This recipe is for a 3 lb. meatloaf (I usually figure about 1/3 lb. of meat per person), but the rule of thumb should simply be a 1:2 ratio of other meat to ground beef.  Adjust the following ingredients as necessary if you decide to increase or decrease your meat.
2/3 cup raisins (I've also used dried cranberries or cherries with rave reviews)
2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (organic or homemade are best)
1/2 cup chopped onion (organic is best)
2 pastured-chicken eggs
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Day Old Bread (to soak up juices and fats)
2 teaspoons organic Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons organic Ketchup (or homemade)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a large bowl, mix meat by hand with raisins, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, herbs, salt & pepper to taste  (The above measurements are suggestions only...go by your taste and texture preferences).  Do not over mix.  Mixture should hold together and be neither too dry nor overly moist.  If too dry add another egg.  If too moist, add more bread crumbs.

In the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan place enough pieces of day-old bread in a single layer to cover the size of your loaf.  Form the meat mixture into an ovular loaf being careful to slightly flatten the top to assist in consistent cooking throughout.  Place loaf on top of bread layer.

Drizzle Worcestershire sauce and ketchup on top of loaf.  *Some people prefer BBQ sauce, chutneys, or other homemade sauces.

Bake at least 1 hour (Again this time is for a 3lb. loaf. Adjust accordingly.) or until center of loaf is slightly pink and the internal temperature from a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit.  Remove the meatloaf from the oven and loosely tent with foil for about 10 minutes.  The internal temperature of the meat will continue to rise as it rests during this time.  Slice and serve immediately.  Potatoes or rice and steamed seasonal vegetables make a great complement to this dish.  Sandwiches are a welcome Round 2 option!




1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious!! I have never heard of sausage or raisins in a meatloaf, but it looks YUMMY!!

    I'm a little confused about something, if I may, you said that meat and dairy should be pasture based....and not eat any grain/corn. Do you mean that your cattle eat only what is in the pasture and are not given any subsidy?

    I think your "homesteading" is amazing! I have enjoyed reading your blogs since meeting you and am really considering my way of life! Homesteading sounds simple, yet exhausting, but healthy and rewarding at the same time!!

    April Miller :)

    ReplyDelete