Tuesday, March 18, 2014

We All Scream for Ice Cream

Ice cream in March?  I have a medical excuse.  No, really!

Two of my wisdom teeth have been displaying such interesting contortions that my dentist insisted an oral surgeon remove them for exhibit in the dental hall of fame.  Lucky me!  I have an appointment for tomorrow.  In preparation for my open-mouthed marathon, I've been busy making a few healthful, nourishing dishes that I can consume (a.k.a. slurp) later this week while I hide from admiring dental enthusiasts (a.k.a. recover at home with ice packs strapped to my cheeks). Unfortunately, ice cream has yet to be lauded as a top ten health food, but I decided to add it to my list of recovery foods for this week.  I'm posting my favorite homemade custard-based recipe, comprised of (mostly) nutrient-dense and delicious ingredients.  There's plenty of good stuff in this sweet delight, so I have no qualms about eating it for this "special" occasion.  Besides, the soothing cool will be a welcome relief from the throbbing of my hole-y lower jaw.

P.S.  As a springy St. Patrick's Day spin, I've added organic mint flavoring and mint chocolate sandwich cookies to the classic vanilla base.  Get creative as you customize the ice cream flavors to your personal and seasonal favorites!

Vanilla Mint Cookie Ice Cream
Yield: approximately 1/2 gallon

For the vanilla custard base:
3 c. milk (Note: I use raw milk & cream)
3 c. heavy cream
2 whole vanilla beans (If using extract, substitute 2 tsp.)
4 large pastured eggs
6 large pastured egg yolks
1 1/4 c. sugar* (I always use organic evaporated cane juice instead of processed sugar) *The amount can be adjusted to your preference.

For the added goodies:
1 package of mint chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed to desired crumb (I used Newman's Own brand)
1/4 tsp. real peppermint flavor
*The possibilities are endless when it comes to ice cream flavors...try chocolate, coffee, fruit, cookies, nuts, etc.

Equipment Required to make Ice Cream:
A hand-crank or motorized ice cream maker
Ice cream salt -- available at most groceries
Ice -- approx. 1 small bag

To Make the Custard
Starting Tip: Before you begin the recipe, place one ice cube in the bottom of the pot.  Allow to melt and swirl to coat the bottom of the pot.  This helps keep milk from scorching.

1.  Combine milk and cream in a large stainless steel pot.  Mix well.  Slice vanilla beans in half, lengthwise.  Scrape out the inside and stir into the cream mixture along with the pods.


2. Over medium heat, bring mixture just to boiling.  Stir regularly to prevent scorching.  Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for approximately 30 minutes.


3.  Meanwhile, place the empty metal cylinder for your ice cream maker in a deep freezer or cooler with ice. It should be chilled and ready for later!
4. Next, in a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, yolks, and sugar.  With a mixer, beat several minutes until smooth and pale yellow in color.  Set aside.
5.  After cream mixture has simmered for 30 minutes, remove and discard the bean pod.  Slowly add 1 cup of hot cream mixture into the egg mixture.  Stir. When blended, pour the egg mixture into the cream mixture.  Mix thoroughly.

Our farm eggs have dazzingly rich-colored yolks!

6.  Over medium-low heat, cook the mixture, stirring constantly (or you may end up with really sweet scrambled eggs).  The mixture is done when it is thick enough to coat a stainless steel spoon.
7.  Pour the mixture into a large bowl.  If using, stir in the crushed mint cookies and peppermint (or flavors of your choosing). Chill completely in the refrigerator for several hours.


To Make the Ice Cream
Follow your ice cream maker's instructions.  They should go something like this...

- Pour custard mixture into chilled ice cream cylinder. Insert the paddle mechanism being certain its central rod is properly aligned with the center of the cylinder.  Close the lid of the cylinder.
- Place cylinder into the ice cream maker.  Place the crank mechanism over the top of the maker being sure the top cylinder rod and crank mechanism are aligned properly.  Lock the crank mechanism in place.
- Fill the barrel of the ice cream maker 1/2 full with ice.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup salt on top of the ice.  Fill the rest of the barrel with ice to the overfill hole on the barrel.  Sprinkle another layer of salt.
- Crank away!  The paddle will begin to slow as the ice cream thickens.  Check your ice cream as needed.  Do not over stir or force the crank/motor. Important Note:  The resulting salty brine can be quite destructive to flooring, grass, etc.  Do this task in an inconspicuous spot of your concrete garage floor, driveway, or yard.
- When the ice cream is thick, remove cylinder from maker.  Either eat the ice cream immediately OR, ideally, remove the ice cream from the cylinder to a freezer storage container and allow your fresh ice cream to harden in the freezer for several hours or overnight.

Taste Test...mmmm
I know a number of genuine ice cream fanatics and wouldn't necessarily classify myself as one. However, this recipe is so decadent (and made from our farm eggs and neighbor's milk) that I find myself eager to get my spoon into a bowl of it any chance I can. Weldon and I don't often make ice cream, but when we do, it doesn't stick around long. Hopefully, I'm the only one that might literally scream for ice cream this week, but surely a few of you out there will pull out the ice cream maker and get busy with a springtime treat!



P.P.S.  I don't know if there's really a dental hall of fame, but please don't go searching for my ousted molars.

1 comment: