Friday, October 19, 2012

Testing My Limits

A few years ago I cut back on my daily ritual of putting on deodorant.  Shock of all shocks!  Horror of all horrors!  I know.  I don't enjoy the stench of B.O. any more than the next person, but there's quite a bit of discussion linking aluminum in antiperspirant-deodorants with some serious health concerns. Charged by this query, I thought it through and decided to attempt the unthinkable. Could I achieve this feat without being an affront to society's nostrils?  Let me back up and state that I've leaned more toward the glam side of femininity than the grunge, so this trial was a major step. Also for the record, within fifteen minutes of getting dressed every morning in high school I'd have embarrassing sweat circles in my armpits. (Can we say stressed?!?) Over the years I curbed my stress and the sweating, but I'll reiterate...this no-deodorant gig was a major step for me. Long story short, my body now self-regulates with nothing but bathing, healthy eating, and an occasional dab of natural, herbal deodorant. (Not that I didn't have a few stinky days initially while figuring all this out.) Voila! I'm not running anyone off with my stench and I've kicked a chemical-product habit. While I'm sure a post about my hygiene would spike my blog's readership overnight (or make a few spouses don clothespins on their noses and glare angrily in my direction), I'll burst your bubble and admit that this post is about testing my limits, not my underarms.
In my journey I attempt to turn over every stone, consider every angle, and turn an inquisitive eye toward even the "constant" variables. Why? Because every now and again reconsidering my limitations, the framework within which I'm functioning, allows me to let go of the fluff and make room for the good stuff that I value most -- things like family, food, simplicity, creativity, working with my hands, faith, community, and the environment. Though it takes effort to sift and sort, it's not as tiring as it sounds.  Actually, I find the process enjoyable and rewarding.  Sometimes it becomes a commitment to add something to my roster (i.e. our milk cow = yummy all-grass dairy products, healthy preventative nutrition, & money staying in my pocket); other times it's an exercise of doing without (i.e. no tv = recreation and rejuvenation without brain cell loss & more money staying in my pocket). The results of pushing my limits are always interesting and usually unpredictable. I've experienced more time, new skills, inner peace, self-awareness, dollars saved, a healthy body, or a boost in my overall well-being. Generally, the time and topic will naturally find it's way under my scrutiny. I don't pressure myself to do it all at once or grub for changes to make.  For example, it took me two years to switch my usual cosmetics to natural ones, though I could have chosen to dump the drawer and start over in an instant. Likewise, after eight months trying to live without a dishwasher, I decided that I simply couldn't do it and hold onto my sanity at the pace of business we were attempting to maintain and the level of home-cooked meals we needed for us and our interns. To either timeline and decision I say, "Great!" Let it be what it is. I know that as long as I keep my values in the forefront and am at least willing to test the limits, the outcome will be a balanced and beneficial one.

Long before I left the suburbs of Connecticut to create a new life in Kentucky, I knew I wanted my work, my possessions, and my decisions to mean something.  At the time I had no idea what lay ahead, nor did I have any aspirations for a made-from-scratch life in the country. All of that came about because I focused on what mattered most, increased my awareness, and made small changes that felt natural and led me to where I am in one way or another.  For example, in my early twenties I remember opting to collect pretty handkerchiefs for daily use in lieu of disposable tissues. A small thing, yes, but headed in the right direction. Later, after graduating college, I came to grips with the fact that I was addicted to Instant Messaging.  I chose to unplug and let the communique with friends fall where it may. I figured we could keep in touch without the level of distraction that IMing fostered. Since then, I've chosen not to log on to the social networking community either.  It's not that I'm a technophobe (I am blogging after all). The fact is that when I consider my time, I'm simply more interested in keeping long-distance relationships through high quality interactions, albeit fewer of them. When the moment was right, I made similar choices in regards to my food and my home.  At first I wanted my dollars to go to ethical companies and organic ingredients.  Now that I've moved to live where and how I do, I want a community of local, ethical producers to work with and my own hands to produce the bulk of what I consume.  I use basic, natural products to clean my house and I'm seeking a small footprint when it comes to energy use and resource consumption. All the while, I've set my mind to better understand, respect, and utilize money -- an often overlooked yet essential endeavor in this holistic lifestyle. This evolution of decisions occurred over a long period of time, sometimes sprinting at a cheetah's pace and other times drifting into a eureka moment like a brick wall.  Regardless, it happened at a cost to certain limitations that had been self-imposed and enforced by my culture and environment.  Who knew I could live without a TV, a microwave, a clothes dryer, or a smartphone?  Who knew I could have a life of abundance, peace, and generosity with part-time paychecks and a full-time farm?  I didn't know until now.

Since the beginning of October I've been at it again...this time with my cell phone. I was tiptoeing around it for months. Secretly, I was wishing I could do without texting and cut back on my cell phone use. In the open I was convincing myself it just wasn't going to be practical or possible for me with my work and family commitments. Every pair of jeans that I own has a faded silhouette of my phone in the back left pocket and while I'm not a consta-texter I like the convenience and use it at least once or bunches of times every day.  Perhaps the change of seasons gave me some gumption.  I took the cue from a 6-day trip with my family to New England early this month.  Half-way through the weekend my cell phone died and I found myself without a charger for a few days even after returning home.  It was exactly the kick in the pants I needed to give this experiment a whirl. I notified my family and friends that I wouldn't be available by text, my cell phone would only be on if I was out for the day, and that my land line is now the best way to reach me by phone.  Though I expected some rolling of eyes and perhaps a verbal objection or two, I found that my contacts took it in stride...or maybe they did all that after I hung up.

It's October 19th. So far, so good.  Everyone, including me, is adjusting just fine to my house phone and answering machine.  I'm getting used to the inability to make a call or ask a question at the drop of a hat.  While a tad annoying at times I stop and remember that people have gotten by very happily for millennia without this instant means of communication.  I'm doing this whole thing for a few reasons.  First, if I and my companions are weaned off the text option of my phone I can save $10/month.  $120/year sounds like an awesome Christmas gift or a night away somewhere to me! Second, texting has the uncanny knack of turning a few minute dialogue into an hour long game of tag in which neither myself nor the receiver can be fully focused on what is occurring in our present space. We're technically doing two things at once, but it's a question mark as to how well or efficiently we're doing either. This brings me to my third reason, if I'm constantly aware of my cell phone about to ring or texts to be answered, then my subconscious is on edge and less engaged in the task or person in front of me. Undivided attention and living in the moment are tragic losses in the technologically-advanced, on-demand society in which we live as Americans.  Is this an impractical attempt for others because of work, kids, doctors, etc.?  Perhaps...but something can always be done to get closer to the ideal if one is willing.  I had a friend in high school who never answered his phone during a meal.  Most would consider this quaint or old-fashioned.  I understood it and respected the choice.  I'm certain it made for a better dining experience -- both for the relationships at the table and the digestion!  Finding what works is a part of the process.

My final assessment on my cell phone test = totally worth it.  It may be small, but it's brought an unexpected relief and stillness to my daily activities.  I know I have the security of a cell phone while on the road but otherwise, I'm glad to have bitten the bullet and finally reigned this area back to where I'm more at ease. Like any good test I gave myself the out that I'd simply re-instate life as usual on November 1st if I so desired.  Forget the next 12 days, this one is going to stick.  Bye, bye texting...hello living.  At the end of the day it's the small choices and changes that make the biggest difference.  Before you know it you could be smelling like lavender or text-free -- and living to tell about it!








No comments:

Post a Comment